Improving Electrical Continuity
in Atlas Code 100 Switches

Visit the Pacific Coast Air Line Railway for more Construction Articles
After ballasting I found that I had electrical problems in my turnouts. This is my solution.
This first problem was lack of power in the point rails. I devised these wipers to improve the power flow. The long leg is just enough to be covered by the point rail and the short about 1/16". They are .005 shim brass. Polish the contact surface. The wipers are put in place after painting the rails and ties and ballasting.
I chiseled off the outside spike lug. Lift the rail slightly with pliers and shove the wiper under the rail.
Crimp the wiper down on the rail base.
The closure rails were dead so I fiddled and fussed with the grommets. Still being dead I took a sharp scriber and peened a small dent in the base of the point rail at the dot in the upper circle and the plate under the grommet and point rail. This  brought power to the closure rail. Solder a small tie wide piece of brass between the running rail and the closure rail to assure electrical continuity. They are placed over a tie past the point rails.
Note:  If you are marking the location of Snaptrack use only Black Magic Markers. The blue and red will bleed into the ties and are almost impossible to cover. I still have blue bleeding up thru my ballast from where I maked the cork.
Solder these jumpers made from a tie wide piece of shim brass at the location shown. This assures that the closure rails get power. Do this before ballasting and painting the ties and rail.
Click Picture
 to Enlarge
Click Pictures
 to Enlarge
Click Picture
 to Enlarge
Click Picture
 to Enlarge
Click Picture
 to Enlarge
Comments Please email me at:
hminky@yahoo.com
Please make subject:
pcal
please sign our guestbook