D-oh, When Clever Ideas Go Bad
Fix that Bad On30 Track

My original idea, since the layout was in two pieces, was to put short lengths of track to link the sections together. I had built S scale modules and this scheme seemed to work well. Wrong!!!!! I had nothing but trouble with this idea. No matter what I would do the track would never be smooth enough, with the addition of the Broadway Limited C-16 the problem increased. I had more shims and spikes and other stupid ideas to prevent derailments. The small sections could not be kept level. So, a major overhaul was necessary.
The load-in/loads-out section developed into a length of short Snaptrack sections. I believe the count is five. In my genius, if I soldered the joints together it would become one homogeneous wonder, Wrong!!! . This was an even bigger problem than the end sections as it included a 15" radius section. Time to rip-up the track.
When you build your layout  make sure you run the trains for awhile and get rid of all the bugs. If you don't you will arrive at this page.
I wedged a wood chisel underneath the track at one of the track joints. The track was then yanked up.
I had used a fifty-fifty mixture of white glue to water to fasten the ballast. This dries to a concrete like material. Luckily the plastic track sections aren't glued down by this mixture.
Still chipping out the white glue rock. At the joints the roadbed is wood. The ballast stuck quite well to the wood. What a pain.
The white glue didn't stick to the cork roadbed painted with Kilz primer as well. I dug a tie wide path through the ballast.
A length of flex-track was inserted and was massaged to create a smooth transition. It will form smooth easements and spirals. No 15" radius anymore, the track was nailed down on this side.
Overlapping the Snaptrack section with the flex-track until the ties paralled each other. The Snaptrack section was marked where to cut back the ties.
Cut the rails back until they align and add a section of Snaptrack tie ends to clear the rail joints. Cut a tie section off  the end of a section of Snaptrack and slide it onto the flex-track rails.
Finished track section, now everything through this section works. Now all I have to do is run it for awhile before weathering the track and ballasting. I will use diluted matte-medium to glue the ballast down. It should be easier to rip up this section when the layout is moved and re-assembled with this section and the ends relaid.
The white glue mixture was thinner in this section so it was easier to remove the old track.
Since this section was a 18" radius Snaptrack section cut up into a smaller removal section all I had to do was put in a new section.
Visit the Pacific Coast Air Line Railway for More Construction Articles
Comments Please email me at:
hminky@yahoo.com
Please make subject:
pcal
please sign our guestbook