Here was the original rockface, ceiling tile piled up. I wanted to rework it to look less uniform. Modern rock cuts have vertical drill lines to insert the dynamite to break down the rock. I started to apply this theory, not remembering my On30
Pacific Coast Air Line Railway was a nineteenth entity.
I once modeled the Southern Railway thru the "rathole". All the rock formations had the telltale dynamite lines, those holes drilled down into the rock to place the charges. This was my technique for applying that feature.
Taking a Hacksaw I cut grooves in the rockface and chiseled off the ceiling tile to give the impression that the face was removed by a blast.
The hacksaw blade is pushed up and down to put vertical grooves to a depth of the deepest cut and then the tile is removed with a wood chisel to look like it blasted off.
These are finished cut lines where the tile wasn't as jagged.
Here the rock face is being painted with my basic earth color. At this point all the rockface needs is highlight from a dark wash.
I realized that if the PcalRwy was in the ninteenth century the rockwork was incorrect. In the nineteenth century the drilling would be horizontal into the rockface. I started to rework the rockface with Sculptamold and latex paint.
I have found if you mix Sculptamold with my basic latex paint color in a 50-50 mix it can be sculpted into rockforms.
I slurped the Sculptamold/latex mix over the rockface to cover the dynamite grooves with a palette trowel from an art store. I really liked the outcome.
Here is the rockface re-sculpted. Now I have to highlight and fix the ground cover at the base.
This is the initial drybrushing with burnt sienna. The brushing is an upward stroke to make a darker on the bottom effect.
(Click on Images to Enlarge)